Saturday, August 24, 2024

 Jeopardy - 2024 Tournament of Champions.


My wife and I don’t watch a lot of television because most of it is trash or propaganda. We do record quite a few shows and watch them later at our convenience when we can skip over all the damn commercials, 90% of those being pharma/Rx or healthy pills that promise ‘you’ll never have a health problem again if you take 6 of these damn pills a day’ medicine. The rest are law firms trying to get you to join their class action lawsuit.
This list is not all inclusive but we record, of course, Jeopardy, wildlife shows and documentaries, the numerous wildlife conservation officer shows, The Five, Gutfeld, college football, Nascar, Rob Carson, several cooking shows including Cook’s Country and Pioneer Woman, Hal Lindsey, Jerusalem Dateline, and my wife has one soap opera she has watched since she was a little girl with her mother that she won’t give up on, etc. Oh yeah, we were addicted to Yellowstone, waiting on the end of the last season.
During the day while the wife is at work, I’ll have the TV on Newsmax with the sound muted a little.
When we’re both at home doing our own thing, we’ll usually have Sirius or some prerecorded show playing.
During the NASCAR season I usually record the cup series and play them on Monday or Tuesday while the wife is at work unless occasionally, the wife wants to watch, i.e., take a nap. I root primarily for the Hendricks team, #5, Larson, #9, Elliot, #24, Byron, and #48, Bowman. But there are others I will also ‘wish’ to the front. I like #1, Chastain and #3, Dillon. If I could wish #8, Busch and #23, Wallace into the wall EVERY week, I would.
And college football is about to start up again this weekend. My #1 team is UGA, followed closely by FSU.
To get back to the topic I wanted to mention, we were watching the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions this past week. We like Jeopardy because we both think that it helps to keep you thinking, keep the mind active doing something for a while each day.
The three contestants were Yogesh Raut, Troy Meyer, and Ben Chan. I had decided much earlier in the tournament I would pick Ben Chan to root for because he had the personality that I most align with and he did pretty well in the games from the start.
Yogesh had 2 wins, Troy 1, and Ben 2.
Ben found the first Daily Double in “Jeoportmanteau!” (Jeoportmanteau! was a category in which there are two clues, using those two clues gives you an answer, where the second word starts with the last letters of the first word.) under the $1,600 clue on the 15th pick of the round. He was in last place with $4,200, $13,200 less than Troy’s lead. Ben bet it all and he was correct.
The clue was “A buffet in Stockholm + a house of ill repute.”
Finally, getting to the point, before Ben answered the question … or question for the answer in this case, he commented something to the effect of ‘One of my favorite place to eat.’
The answer “What is a Smorgasbordello?”
I don’t know why that answer was so hilarious to me but it was good enough that I remembered to write about it today.
Sadly, Ben ended up coming in second, winning $100,000, Yogesh won the TOC with 3 wins and 250,000.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If that don't make you smile, you need to get your attitude examined.